Member of the month August 2015: Anna Rivera
Published September 10, 2015
Congratulations to our August Member of the Month, Anna Rivera!!!
Anna is a very infectious member around here. She doesn't demand a great deal of attention, but you just can't help but notice her smile, her dedication, her passion, her enthusiasm, her efforts, her willingness to try. Personally, I find Anna's passion for travel something I aspire to one day. Thank you Anna, for making a positive impact on our community!
1. How did you find CrossFit?
My future son in law, David Bui, was competing in the Open 2011 while visiting us in April from San Francisco. He contacted Greg and CrossfitNWT and was welcomed to post his WOD for the competition. As I watched David compete, Greg encouraged me to join. That June, I retired from 33 years in education and after a week of decompressing on the couch, I made the healthy decision to join CrossfitNWT. I made a personal plan to attend 30 WODS which were very difficult for me but once I hit the 30th, I felt exhilaration and healthier. I completed four years and have documented 561 WODS! Not bad for a 63 year old.
2. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise or WOD? Those who greet me at the 7:00 am class cheer me on each date I do 10 Burpees at the end of the WOD.
3. How long have you been CrossFitting? Since June 2011 and 561 WODS,
4. What do you do for a living? Retiree who travels (recommend "Travel as a Political Act" by Rick Steves") and dances tango. (www.Learn-to-Tango.com and a partner is not needed)
5. What are your hobbies? Travel (Uzbekistan, Istanbul, Manilla, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Mexico, Canada and plans for Peru and Buenos Aires to dance tango) Have had a great experience withwww.homeforexhange.com.
6. Why do you CrossFit? I can lift my personal luggage on planes, trains and subways. I also have improved in my personal balance to enable me to dance tango.
7. Any advice for future CrossFitters? I heartily suggest to commit to 30 WODS and write the dates and your info during those dates. You will be amazed at what you accomplish and your ability to work through the pain.
8. Favorite place you've ever been? Japan...we ate a home cooked meal with a Japanese family in their home via a goodwill website that connects tourists with families. The 7year old and 4 year old spoke English fluently and plan to visit Tucson when they turn 15 years of age. So I must be able to host them in 2023!
9. Who inspires you?
10. Favorite book/movie? "A Tale for the Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki 2013...
11. If you could have a luncheon with any three people (real of fictitious/ from any time period, dead or alive) , which three people would you choose and why?
12. Favorite quote? "To live...for now...for the time being." Ruth Ozeki
13. WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED?
14. What can't you live without? York Peppermint Patties (the tiny ones that are individually wrapped) and the coffee my husband prepares each morning for me with freshly ground beans.
15. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Two adult children who are world travelers and still invite us to travel with them!
16. Any pet peeves? People who frown...give it up and smile ;)
17. What is your motto (words you live by or that mean a lot to you)? (see #12)
18. WHAT KEEPS YOU COMING BACK? It is the group dynamics of the other athletes in the WOD. I have come to realize that I need that physical contact even if it is just a smile.