Member of the Month October 2015: Kristen Horon
Published October 1, 2015
Congratulations to our October's Member of the Month, Kristen Horton!!! Kristen recently celebrated her 5th year anniversary at CrossFit NorthWest Tucson! Kristen has mostly been coming to the 9:30 classes since she joined the gym. It has been an absolute amazing experience to get to know Kristen over the years.
1. How did you find CrossFit? I first heard about CrossFit from my fiancé and now my husband James who started doing CrossFit in El Paso while he was stationed there in the Army. I was very curious about what he was doing and of course needed to get in shape for our upcoming wedding. A coworker of mine had started coming to CFNWT and recommended I give it a try.
2. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise or WOD? I know I sound crazy but I LOVE Overhead Squats! My favorite WOD is Nancy 5 rounds for time of 400 Meter Run and 15 OHS
3. How long have you been CrossFitting? My first WOD was September 10th, 2010 5 years ago!! Other than taking a small break after having my baby last summer I have been coming pretty consistently since then!
4. What do you do for a living? For the past 7 years I have worked as a Registered Nurse in the Medical ICU at University Medical Center. I am actually just starting a new job at Tucson Medical Center working in the Cath Lab Recovery Area. I am looking forward to a different style of nursing and learning new things!
5. What are your hobbies? Outside of Crossfit I enjoy spending quality time with my Husband, Daughter and our two crazy dogs! I enjoy going out to eat at nice restaurants and love to go shopping! I also secretly enjoy watching trashy reality TV shows.
6. Any advice for future CrossFitters? Don’t quit and don’t be afraid to ask for help from people! Everyone started out new at some point! We all want you to do well and have a great workout.
7. Favorite WOD Music ? I like anything with a beat that I can move to. Hip Hop is probably my favorite.
8. Best vacation you've ever been on? I traveled to Kauai for one week in April 2013. It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I loved the beaches, laid back atmosphere and the delicious food. I hope to go back someday!
9. Who inspires you? I would have to say my one year old daughter Evelyn. She makes me want to be the best version of myself all the time. I want to provide her a beautiful life filled with happiness and be a role model for her growing up.
10. Any tattoos? Yes, four of them.Two on my arms and two on my feet.
11. WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED? Inside the gym it is trying to keep up with my strong friends. Every day we push each other and its fun just trying to keep up with them.
12. What can't you live without? Chapstick! Chapped lips make me crazy. When I am all out it is devastating!
13. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Becoming a Mom is definitely my top achievement now but before that I would have to say graduating with Honors from Arizona State University with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing!