November 2015 Member of the Month: Tom Blanchard
Published November 2, 2015
Congratulations to November's Member of the Month Tom Blanchard! Tom Blanchard is a regular in the 3:00pm Oldies class. You can always count on Tom to support Coach Greg's choice in music. From Coach Greg: "Tom and I have been friends for over 20 years. Tom contacted me to find out more about CrossFit. He wanted to get in better shape now that he was in his fifties. He joined and has been a member of CFNWT for over 3 years. During Tom’s CrossFit journey, I’ve watched him develop into an amazing athlete. He is very warm and welcoming to new members."
1. How did you find CrossFit? Came across an article in the local sports page about CFNWT and recognized Greg, who I met 20 years ago when he sold me my first pool. I called Greg, did my intro session and joined. The timing was good, I was ready for a change from my old workout routine.
2. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise or WOD? The hero WOD’s, which tend to be tougher both mentally and physically, but I find to be the most rewarding to finish. I try to stay focused on the sacrifice each hero made to get me through.
3. How long have you been CrossFitting? A little over 3 years
4. What do you do for a living? Financial advisor for the past 25 years, the last 8 years with Morgan Stanley. I work with individuals, families and small businesses, focusing on investing for retirement and college funding.
5. What are you goals? Pretty simple really ; continue to work on building strength, endurance, maintaining proper technique to avoid injuries. Oh, and *$#@*& ing double unders.
6. Any advice for new CrossFitters? Just keep coming. I remember hitting a wall about 2-3 weeks in and thought I was in way over my head. Talked to Greg, who convinced me not to give up, just keep coming. It never gets easier, but the positive results will continue to drive your motivation to want to be here.
7. Favorite WOD Music ? Classic rock ; Zeppelin, Nugent, AC-DC… Told Greg he can’t retire, afraid we might get Kenny Atwell to run the class and have to listen to his fitty-cent rap noise.
8. Best vacation you've ever been on? My youngest daughter did study abroad in South Africa and we were able to visit her. Spent 2 weeks on safari, and finished the trip with one of my bucket list items, cage dive with great white sharks.
9. Who inspires you? My Dad, who at 17 dropped out of high school to join the Army, fighting on the front lines in Korea. The patriotism of that generation was truly amazing.
10. Favorite book/movie? Braveheart
11. Are you superstitious and/or OCD? I call it disciplined, my wife says I’m anal ??
12. Favorite quote? Not exactly a quote, a verse. Jeremiah 29:11" For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”
13. WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED? Staying healthy and active as long as possible, which will hopefully allow my wife and I to continue to do the things in life we enjoy most.
15. What can't you live without? Ultimately family and friends, but a deep dish pizza from Giordano’s in my home town of Chicago is a close second.
16. What do you consider your greatest achievement? My 2 daughters who have both graduated college and are lucky enough to be working in fields they are passionate about.
17. WHAT KEEPS YOU COMING BACK? The challenge, both physically and mentally, and that voice in my head ( Greg ) reminding me to never give up. Great to see the “regulars” in the 3:00 class, meeting new members, and of course the music.