March 2016 Member of the Month: Jenny Johnston
Published June 3, 2016
1. I found CrossFit in 2012. It was not love at first WOD!! I started with a punch card and officially signed up after my 11th out of 12 punches. My kids go to school with Jennifer Walker’s girls and I had seen her around and knew she owned a CF gym. My third daughter was in Melanie Johnston’s 1st grade class at the time and she was a member at CFNWT. We talked a little about it and I decided I wanted to give it a try. Jennifer had donated a punch card to the father/daughter dance at school. I sent my kids and husband with specific instructions to win me that punch card! Well, that didn’t work out, but a good friend of ours won it and he was too busy to use it, so he gave it to me.
2. Oh, I have lots of favorites! I love a good, long chipper! I love cleans. Any WOD with cleans is good by me! I also like double unders and deadlifts.
3. I am a mom to four wonderful girls and a wife to an amazing man. It’s a full time job that I love. I am raising good people!
4. My CrossFit goals are to be better than yesterday…. to be stronger, faster and more efficient than the day before. I would also like to be able to rep out ring dips and feel more comfortable in my overhead squat.
5. I CrossFit to keep my sanity! It’s my hour for me! I spend the rest of the hours of the day doing for and taking care of others. Crossfit is a place where I go to relieve stress and make myself a better wife and mom. I love feeling strong and energetic, it makes me a better person.
6. My advice for future Crossfitters is to stick with it. I almost gave up in the beginning and thought it wasn’t for me. I’ve learned that CrossFit can be for everyone assuming they are willing to put in the work. Also, learn to be coachable, learn to take direction and ask questions.
7. Best vacation was definitely my honeymoon. 17 years ago, Joel and I went to the Greek Islands. It was so beautiful!!
8. I am totally inspired by my husband, Joel. He is not only extremely smart and motivated, he is also the nicest, most genuine person I know. His positivity and upbeat attitude is contagious and I am a better person because of him.
9. I’m totally OCD!! Although I prefer to say I’m particular rather than OCD:) I like things a certain way and I can’t stand chaos or disorder. I hate clutter, I’m totally a minimalist.
10. There are lots of quotes that my family hears me say like, “what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger” and “cleanliness is next to godliness:)” but in all serious my favorite quote is my favorite bible verse: Psalm 23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake.”
11. My gym buddies keep me motivated! I have made the most awesome friends at CFNWT. I’ve made friendships that will last a lifetime.
12. My greatest fear… hmmm, I have so many, I’m a total chicken!! I am definitely afraid of failure.
13. I can’t live without chocolate ice cream…. and wine!!
14. If I could change one thing about myself it would be my legs!
15. My greatest achievement is my family. My kids are the light of my life. I hope they see me as an example of health, strength and commitment.
16. My motto is: be better than yesterday….. be a better person, a better wife, better mom, better CrossFitter….
17. I keep coming back because I’m obsessed!! I love the challenge of CF. I love that there is always something to work on and be better at. I love that every workout is different and we all have our individual strengths. I definitely keep coming back because of my 9:30 peeps! I love Coach Jennifer and my buddies at the 9:30. Honestly I couldn’t ask for a better group of people. I am grateful.