July 2016, Member of the Month: Ryan Clairmont
Published July 1, 2016
- How did you find Crossfit? My brother introduced it to me in 2007. I began doing some of the workouts on my own but it wasn’t until 2012 when I moved to Tucson that I joined a Crossfit gym, CFNWT!!
- What is your favorite Crossfit exerercise or WOD? I don’t have a favorite exercise in Crossfit but any workout that is in a Chipper format I like. The longer the workout and the more grinding it is the better!!
- What do you do for a living? I am an active duty Physician Assistant in the U.S Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.
- What are your hobbies? I love to hunt, fish, hike, and camp. My passion lies in multi-day backcountry hunting adventures and living out of my backpack.
- What are your goals? My short term goal is to harvest an elk this year with my bow on a multi-day backcountry hunt in the Idaho wilderness. Next year I will be doing a 12 day sheep hunt in the Brooks Range of Alaska and my goal is to harvest a sheep. My long term goal is to continue pursuing my hunting adventures well into my 60s and beyond.
- Why do you crossfit? I believe Crossfit is the most well rounded fitness program out there. It challenges me physically and mentally in ways that other programs have failed. I love the comradery that goes along with working out in a class format. I have made lifelong friends through Crossfit.
- Any advice for future crossfitters? Stay within yourself and don’t get caught up in what others are able to accomplish. Form before weight. It’s your workout, listen to the coaches and be consistent in how often you are coming to classes. It will not be long before you are seeing big results!!
- Favorite WOD music? Linkin Park, Eminem, etc.
- Favorite place you’ve ever been? Brooks Range, Alaska
- Best vacation you’ve ever been on? 4 days at Big Sky Ski Resort with my wife during my mid-tour leave from Iraq 2006
- Who inspires you? I find inspiration from everyday people. From my wife and kids, to everyone I see in the gym day after day to improve themselves. People like that keep me focused and hungry to stay physically prepared always.
- Childhood Hero? My dad
- Favorite Quote?
- What Keeps You Motivated? I consistently commit to very difficult and daunting mountain adventures that require me to be in great physical and mental condition. I also stay motivated through watching others who have the same passion and pursuits as I do.
- What is your greatest Fear? Not something I think about too often but outliving my children is a fear or something as a father I never want to endure.
- What can’t you live without? The support of my family. Without them supporting my crazy passion I would not be where I am today.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? Being married for 16 years and raising two wonderful children!!
- What keeps you coming back? The people…..I can work-out anywhere but the environment at CFNWT is without question what keeps me coming back.